100 Years and Counting.. Serving God as we Serve Our Community
The history of the Church of God in Jefferson City began in 1923 when Bro. Gutridge began meeting with believers in Sister Schulen's home. The group quickly outgrew the home and began to hold services in the Cole County Courthouse. In 1925 the decision was made to buy a lot at 821 Madison Street and build a church on it. The building was completed and the first services were held in June 1926. In 1930 a basement was dug under the church in which to house Sunday School. In 1948 a parsonage was purchased for the pastor. The church continued to grow and about 1965 a home across the street was bought to provide more Sunday School space. At about the same time a building fund was established looking forward to a new facility. In 1968 a 7 acre lot at 1614 Southwest Blvd. was purchased. About 1970 work began on the new church and a parsonage behind it. Much of the work was done by volunteer members of the congregation. The Congregation was thrilled to move into its new location and the first service was held the first Sunday of April, 1972. Over the years based upon God's provision and the needs of the congregation and the community, much has been accomplished at 1614 Southwest Blvd. In the early and mid 1970's a large bus ministry was thriving and in 1977 a small gym/general ministry area was constructed. A new church plant at Gravois Mills (Lake of the Ozarks area) was started with assistance from Missouri State Ministries. About 1977 a major remodeling project resulted in the front of the sanctuary and the basement being reconfigured into their current configuration. About 1995 the parsonage was converted into a youth ministry facility and local missions outreach program serving the less fortunate in our community with food, clothing and other assistance. In 2001 a $400,000 major remodeling project was completed which completely changed the front of the church and added a new lobby, offices, and additional classroom and restroom facilities.
In 2016, our mortgage was paid and a $40,000 remodeling project was completed without any further debt. The real story of First Church of God in Jefferson City is the people. Generation after generation of faithful Christ followers, under many Lead Pastors, have carried the message of Jesus to our community and around the world. These people have been the pillars of the congregation through the decades. Out of this congregation have come many lead and associate pastors who have served world wide. Marilyn Henry was the first woman to graduate from the School of Theology at Anderson College, becoming a lead pastor and then a Wycliffe Bible Translator in Central America. Carl Peterson became the first State Coordinator for Missouri Ministries of the Church of God. Members of our congregation have been a tremendous influence on this church and our community. They have been very involved in local missions efforts and missions efforts in our state, nation, and, indeed, around the world. It is these people who have been the hands and feet of Jesus in carrying out His work from a base in Jefferson City, Missouri.
Today we strive to daily make an impact for Christ in our community as we embark on our 100 acts of community service throughout our Centennial Year!